Skydive

Skydiving is on everyones bucket list and something that everyone should experience at least once. I had always wanted to do it but wanted the perfect view to look at. I had thought about doing it over the Great Barrier Reef while in Australia, but as soon as I arrived in Fiji I knew that this was the perfect place for me. Blue ocean and white sandy beaches, you couldn’t really go wrong with that.

I booked it with ‘Skydive Fiji’ though the hostel tour desk and they picked me up from there. You have to go through all the paperwork and basically sign your life away!

We arrived at the plane and I was given a harness to put on and tie up. This was the point I began to get nervous as they don’t exactly make sure it’s done up propery and you don’t get told what to do. We then got into this old, rickety plane that held 2 people and 2 instructors. As we slowly reached 12,000 feet I began to think about what I was actually doing and wether I would go through with it. My instructor Malachi, then finally tightened my harness and attached it to his, and then proceeded to tell me to put me feet out onto the step and and cross my arms over my chest when the door opened. Simple as that!!!

When we reached 12,000 feet my instructor opened the door and you could feel the wind straight away and it was freezing, but I didn’t care as my adenaline was pumping. Before I knew it we had let oursleves fall and we were literally falling to earth at around 120mph for 40-50 seconds!

It doesn’t feel like you were falling though as I think the higher you are the slower your brain registers that you are falling. With Bungy jumping for example the ground is getting closer and closer very quickly!!

As I was enjoying the scenery and getting relaxed Malachi opened the parachute and with a jolt we rushed back up a little bit. Floating through the air was such a great feeling and Fiji looks even more amazing than on the ground. After a while Malachi let me steer the parachute in circles and from left to right trying to get us over our target on the ground, and as the ground became closer he took over and when told I lifted my feet up for the landing. We both landed smoothly on our feet and I was totally in love with Skydiving.


Have you been skydiving and would you do it again??

2 Response to "Skydive"

  1. Milady says:
    5 January 2012 at 17:20

    Melanie here! I enjoyed this piece, please email me--I have a question about your blog. MelanieLBowen[at]gmail[dot]com

  2. Jessica says:
    11 February 2012 at 21:25

    Sorry I'm just getting around to visiting your blog and seeing this but way to go! I loved the free fall part myself; it was the 6 minutes of swaying back and forth to the ground that got me motion sickness!